Seeking Alpha $100,000 Portfolio Trade Log
*UPDATED* 3/7/12 **Scroll to Bottom of Post**
As promised, I will keep a running log of trades made in the ultra-aggressive $100,000 portfolio here on Robert Weinstein's Paid2Trade. Soon, I will put up a log of all of the trades made in last year's $10,000 portfolio.
If you would like to use options, as well as stocks and ETFs, as part of a relatively more conservative and long-term investing plan, consider subscribing to our options investing newsletter .
Closing the Lululemon (LULU) position. Purchased 100 shares at $55.25. Selling them at $64.58 for a gain of $933. Value (in cash): $6,458.
I'm keeping the remaining three positions open:
- AAPL Jan '14 $600 call. Purchased one contract for $32.80. Holding at $28.10 for an on-paper loss of ($470). Position value: $2,810.
- Netflix (NFLX) Jan '13 $130 puts. Purchased five contracts for $35.50 each. Holding at $32.85 for an on-paper loss of ($1,325). Position value: $16,425.
- Pandora (P) Mar $11 puts. Sold 20 contracts for $0.50 each. Holding at $0.35 for an on-paper profit of $300. Credit banked: $1,000.
- Buying 2 NFLX March $120 calls for $13.45 each. That's good for a debit of $2,690, bringing the cash balance to $78,213.
- Entering 10 NFLX bull put spreads. Selling 10 NFLX March $97.50 puts for $1.43 apiece and buying 10 NFLX March $77.50 puts for $0.27 for a net credit of $116 per spread and $1,160 total, bringing the cash balance to $79,373.
- Buying 1,000 shares of the Direxion Daily Total Market Bear 1X Shares ETF (TOTS) at $34.06. This trade costs $34,060 and brings the portfolio's cash balance to $45,313.
- Buying 1,000 shares of the Direxion Daily Retail Bear 3X Shares ETF (RETS) at $16.16. That equals a debit of $16,160, bringing the cash balance to $29,513
- Taking a small gain (+200) and selling my position in RETS at $16.36. A rare day-trade in the $100,000 portfolio: http://seekingalpha.com/a/7d8x
- selling 10 AAPL March $500 calls for $3.90 and buying 10 AAPL March $510 calls for $2.52. That works out to a net credit of $138 for each spread and a total credit banked of $1,380, bringing the $100K's portfolio cash balance to $81,163 and the total value to $102,998.
- I am using a good bit of cash to go long Amazon.com ( AMZN). Make it 250 shares at $184.52 for an outlay of $46,130, bringing the portfolio's cash balance to $35,033. I am also writing two covered calls against that position. Make it the AMZN March $195 calls, bringing in $2.76 apiece for a total credit of $552. That takes the cash balance to $35,585 and the total value of the $100K portfolio to $103,550.
- Sell 5 Ralph Lauren ( RL) February 2012 $175 calls for $0.80 and buy 5 RL February 2012 $180 calls for $0.20. That generates a credit of $60 per spread for a total credit banked of $300. I need to cover that with $2,500 worth of equity (I am using cash).
That brings the $100,000 portfolio's cash balance to $35,885 and the total value of the holdings to $107,757.50.
February 16, 2012
March 7, 2012
I just wanted to update where the $100,000 portfolio stands as of Wednesday's close. March options expire on the 17th. From there, I will be able to make some big moves. And depending on how AAPL acts over the next week, I might have to. Looks like I will be on the hook for $10,000 thanks to my seemingly busted AAPL bear call spread.
- AAPL January 2014 $600 call. On-paper profit: $3,934. Position value: $7,214
- NFLX January 2013 $130 puts. On-paper profit: $2,050. Position value: $19,800.
- 250 shares of AMZN at $184.52. On-paper loss: $205.50. Position value: $45,924.50
- 150 shares of AMZN at $177. On-paper profit: $1,015.50. Position value: 27,565.50
Add it all together and you have a total portfolio value of $110,749. That includes a cash balance of $10,245 .
I have several option credit trades open in addition to the AAPL bear call spread. They include AMZN covered calls, a NFLX bull put spread at under $100 and some short P March $11 puts, which could get exercised come expiration. We'll see if I am the proud owner of a whole bunch of Pandora at $11 come expiration.
Of course, if you would like more information my option investing newsletter or to subscriber, click here .